CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Update and then some

For those of you wondering about the outcome of our latest doctor trip, I thought I'd try to fill you in. It was a very long day and a lot of information was thrown our way. So if I'm all over the place with this please understand :) We spent the night in Crosby on Sunday so that the kids would not have to get up at 3:00 am like we did. So we left the kids in great hands with Nana and headed out by 4:00 am to the small town of Pineville LA. We were told when we made the original visit that we needed to plan on a 2 day trip - so we were ready and packed.
The drive up was nice - thanks to my poor husband whose line of work trained him well for a sleeping wife who did not aide in keeping him awake for the ride. Hey I made it to the TX - LA state line - if you've ever ridden in a car with me for any amount of time you know that's pretty good!! We stopped for restroom and coffee at Mac D's but other than that we made it to Pineville without any stops. We made good time - arriving an hour early so we ate a yummy meal of Sonic and then went back to the office to wait for 9:00 - my apt time. Looking back when they asked if I wanted the first apt time I should have thought about the fact it would take us 4 hours to get there - 9:00 am not the best time - sorry Shane :(
So we didnt have to wait long and met with a nurse who asked several background questions, then a few tests then a video of the doctor meeting with a group to explain Fybromialiga, Chronic Fatigue and Chronic Lyme. I knew I did not have either of the first 2 he talked about but I was there to rule in or rule out Lyme Dieases. After the video we meet with the PA who was very very knowledgeable. He not only asked questions I knew he'd ask, answered questions I had; he also asked and answered questions I never knew I had - if that makes any sense at all. For the first time I felt like a doctor was really hearing me and not judging me or getting offended by my questions or threatened if he did know the answer. Doctors are just people to but when they dont have the answer they often refuse to say "I dont know what's wrong with you" and they surly dont take it a step further to say - "But we'll figure this out." I have had doctors say - You're just too stressed - You're just tired - Labs show every thing's fine maybe it's just in your head see you in 6 months - and Maybe you're just depressed. UNREAL!!!
Sorry got off track there -
So after the PA looked at the last labs I had brought with me he found 2 things that that doctor did not - and had questions about others. He said my B12 was lower than he wanted it to be and that my Thyroid was lower than he thought it should be. He also questioned how they diagnosed my Lupus and my PCOS. So 11 vales of blood later and a Lyme panel kit we are waiting for the results.
He also did a vision test that showed I had toxins in my brain - do not ask me how it works or what the toxins are I could assume to answer you correctly but I am not a doctor and by that time my head was swimming with info. So he said we needed to clear them. We also will be putting our growing family on hold. We do not want the meds to affect the baby in anyway so we will wait for that blessing to come later. I left there with sleep aides - he said that's the first line of defense of fighting Lyme - is good rest. And no I do not sleep well at all so this should help with my energy level. I also left with B12 shots, folic acid (different than what you would take for pregnancy), a cleanser type herbal thing, .... i don't remember it all am Im not sure that you care to know lol - 11 "things" total.
Now the big question you have is .. Is it Chronic Lyme? All signs are pointing to yes. He wants to check out the blood first but he seems to believe yes it is Lyme and I have had it for 25 years - not that it was "active" for all those years but it was there. Next question.... How do we get rid of it? ... You really dont get rid of Lyme. You try to kill enough of it way but you're never really cured. To kill it away, you take antibiotics - lots of them for a long time. Treatment is different for everyone.
How long is long?..... He seems to think it will take 1 1/2 to 2 years to "fix" me :) Not as long as some. He said the "treatment" they had me on the the Lupus all those years made it worse.
When do we go back? .... we call on Monday to talk then again in 2 weeks to talk and then in 1 month from then we will either go up for another visit or go back to see him in his office. This is how good I feel about this, you know how hard it is to get a nurse much less a doctor to call you back with anything?? Well he gave us his cell number and told us to text him day or night. Pretty awesome. They also have scriptures on the handout and they call this their ministry - not their job or even calling - pretty cool!
So that's the update so far. Now here's my soap box:
Lyme is under treated and under diagnosed. Doctors are not trained in finding or treating it. The Texas Medical board DOES NOT believe in Chronic Lyme and you will not get proper treatment in Texas. This is a serious disease and a dangerous one! It is called the great imitator. Look up the symptoms and pay attention. No not everyone who gets bit by a tick will get Lyme that's true. But for those who do, please check it out and dont just believe the doctors word on it - cause they dont know everything.
If you want to know more watch the video below - thanks again for all the prayers, well wishes and happy thoughts :)

0 comments: